I love me a good salad. If you have been part of the community on my blog for sometime, you know this. However recently, I have been getting more adventurous with flavor combos and ingredients. Today I am sharing my most recent creation, which has become a favorite for my lunches at work. It’s so easy to throw together the night before or in the morning before you leave. I know you will look forward to eating this salad as much as I do! Continue reading How To Make My Favorite Butter Lettuce Salad
Welcome to everyone participating in the Summer Slay!! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and doing this workout with me. I am so excited you are here! If you don’t know what the Summer Slay is, it’s 4 weeks of workouts and recipes from my girl Les over at The Balanced Berry. It’s totally free! This workout is part of week 4, but it is not too late to join. You can also do this workout even if you aren’t participating in the Summer Slay. All are welcome! Trust me, you don’t want to miss out on this awesomeness.
I am particularly excited about this full body workout because it is to the beat of the music. It’s SO MUCH fun! It’s one of my favorite ways to workout because you get lost in the music and just have fun! In the video, you will see me jam out a bit. Feel free to sing along or head bob, it’s just what happens when you are having fun during a workout!
Do the workout with me in the video below!! For your convenience, the workout and playlist are all included below the video.
Summer Slay: Full Body Workout
- jumping jacks
- lateral (side) lunge
– be sure to keep your knee behind your toe. pretend like there is a chair behind you that you are going to sit in.
- push ups on your knees
– it is important to do these on your knees to get your chest and shoulders warm for the workout!
- crab walks with band
– hold low squat as you take two steps right, then two steps left
– keep weight in heels, knees behind toes and chest proud
- jump squats (dumbbell optional)
– keep weight in heels, knees behind toes, chest proud, squat down and jump up
- reverse lunge with dumbbells
– step back into a lunge, keep knee behind toe
- dumbbell hammer curl
– keeping palms facing out, curl dumbbells up to your shoulders and back down. The angle here is different than a traditional bicep curl
- overhead tricep extension with dumbbell
– keep elbows close to your head
- upright rows
– do not bring your elbows above your shoulders
- bicep curl to shoulder press
– curl dumbbells to chest, twist your wrists so dumbbells face out and press up over your head
- standing oblique crunch
- plank punches
- seated in n out crunch
- squat with shoulder press
– make it one continuous movement, down into squat and straight up into shoulder press
- mountain climbers
– do them double time, or slow them down to the beat. Be sure to keep good plank form with tight core to keep back supported and hips low.
- chest press with dumbbells
– double time or slow it down to the beat
- overhead extension with dumbbells
– keep core tight to support movement, you should feel this in your upper back and your core.
Product for creating this recipe was provided by OrganicGirl, all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting brands that contribute to my blog.
Summer usually means warm weather, BBQs and lots of fresh product. I love to create yummy salads all year, but in the summertime it is especially easy to be inspired to create a salad with all the fresh veggies available. Plus salads are something that can be enjoyed despite the heat. I partnered with OrganicGirl to share with you s delicious and patriotic salad recipe using their newest lettuce blends.
OrganicGirl just launched True hearts butter and butter, plus salad blends which are unlike any other butter lettuce you’ve tried. If you haven’t tried butter lettuce, you must! It is smooth, buttery, hence the name, and delicious! The blends feature butter hearts only (no need to peel away the large outer leaves), which are harvested whole and gently separated by hand. These tender, sweet, crispy leaves are perfect for making a salad fast and healthy—just in time for summer!
The patriotic berry salad I created using the “butter, plus” blend is vegan and gluten free. It’s great as a side salad or on it’s own. Of course you can add some grilled chicken for protein if you would like. Below the recipe, be sure to snag a buy one, try one coupon for OrganicGirl!!
Red, White & Blue Berry Salad
1 clamshell organicgirl “butter, plus” lettuce blend
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup raspberries
organicgirl lemon agave dressing
1) In a large bowl, combine butter lettuce and the lemon agave dressing. Use the amount of dressing to your liking. I like lighter dressing, so I used 4T of dressing for the whole clamshell of lettuce.
2) Wash berries and throw into salad bowl.
3) Top with slivered almonds.
Grab your buy one, try one coupon HERE!
Eat Your Hearts Out Tour
Seattle readers, organicgirl is stopping in Seattle as part of its six-city Eat Your Hearts Out Tour!! They have partnered up with local cookbook author and nutritionist, Sarah Adler of Simply Real Health, for a salad bar take over featuring her new herbaceous babe simple summer salad at your local grocer. Join me on July 17th!
Disclaimer: I received a pair of XX2i sunglasses to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
Summer running is my absolute favorite! If you have followed my blog for sometime, you know I love summer. I can’t run as fast in the car, but it doesn’t slow me down too much. Plus the sunshine, tan lines and gorgeous weather make up for me running a little slower. I am really excited about the XX2i Bahamas1 as they are both functional sunglasses as well as stylish. Continue reading Summer Sunglasses: XX2i Bahamas1 Review
how I use it
What I think
Where to buy
Everyone needs a hero…bar!! Quest just dropped a new brand new kind of bar called the Hero Bar and it’s so unique and different. The Quest Hero Bar comes in 3 flavors: chocolate caramel pecan, blueberry cobbler, and vanilla caramel. I got my hands on a chocolate caramel pecan bar, and I filmed my first taste. I had no idea what to expect!
Quest Hero Bar – What is it??
The hero bars look kind of like a candy bar with a creamy and crunchy center coated in chocolate. It’s unlike any other protein bar! Watch the short video below to see my reaction (it’s kinda funny) and for more info on the bars. Don’t feel like watching the video? Keep reading!
How Does the Bar Taste?
Since filming the video, which was only a few days ago, Quest sent me the other flavors of the hero bar to try. My favorite out of the three, as a predicted in the video, is blueberry cobbler. SO FREAKING GOOD. The bars have a slight crunch and taste so yummy. It’s almost comparable to the texture of a snickers bar.
What are the Macros?
These are the approximate macros for the bars, they vary 1-2 grams per flavor.
Net Carbs: 4
NOT BAD. Especially after you taste it and it’s like the most amazing thing ever. These macros are DOPE.
Where can I Buy it?
Best place is either QuestNutrition.com or GNC. At GNC you can buy one of each flavor so you can try them all and see which one you like best. Click here to shop online!!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Smithfield® Marinated Fresh Pork. The opinions and text are all mine.
Summer is almost here and I cannot wait! It is my favorite time of the year: the sunshine, the long days and summer nights, the lighter meals and fun seasonal flavors and produce, I love it all! Today I am sharing a quick and easy recipe with you that is perfect for summer. It takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and doesn’t require the oven; it’s very summer friendly. With this recipe you’ll get real flavor, real fast!
When the weather is nice, I don’t want to be holed up in the kitchen cooking dinner. I want to be outside, spending time with my family or friends, soaking up rays and enjoying the breeze. This recipe allows you to do that, while still enjoying a delicious and healthy dinner. No need to go out to eat because you didn’t want to spend hours inside cooking. By using a slow cooker and Smithfield Boneless Pork Shoulder Seasoned Carnitas, the meat is cooked perfectly while you are out having fun. Another bonus, you don’t have to use the oven and heat up the house!
I don’t know about you, but in the summer I really crave Mexican inspired food. Nothing hits the spot like some guac on a summer day. These Smithfield Carnitas are already marinated and seasoned, all you have to do is cook it. I found it in the fresh meat section at my local Safeway. Literally all you have to do is cut open the package, cook, and you get delicious meat that is full of flavor! I also love that there are no crazy additives, just meat and seasonings in the marinade. It is also gluten-free, which means I can eat it! I used it to make healthy tacos, but the possibilities are endless. Today I am using the Smithfield pork for a stand-alone meal, but it also works great for your weekly healthy meal prep.
In less than 30 minutes, we are going to have some delicious tacos, guac and a healthy margarita ready to enjoy. That is definitely real flavor, real fast! Save this recipe for the night you are hosting Taco Tuesday or having friends over to enjoy a summer evening and I guarantee it will be a huge hit!
Healthy Carnitas Tacos with Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork
Slower Cooker Time: 4 hours
Prep/Assembly time: 15 minutes
1 package Smithfield Boneless Pork Shoulder Seasoned Carnitas (available at some Safeway locations)
1/2 cup water
1 package small corn tortillas
1. Place Smithfield Boneless Pork Shoulder Seasoned Carnitas in the slow cooker. Add 1/2 cup water. Turn slow cooker on to ‘high.’ Cook for 4 hours. (option to cook on ‘low’ for 7-8 hours)
2. Once cooked, it will be very tender. Remove from slow cooker and use two forks to pull meat apart into shreds.
1. Place skillet on stove, medium to high heat. Place 2-4 tortillas in skillet, depending on size. Warm for 30 seconds, then flip to the other side. Warm another 30 seconds and remove. Tortilla should be warm enough that it is flexible but not burnt.
2. Top warm tortilla with shredded Smithfield Boneless Pork Shoulder Seasoned Carnitas.
3. Garnish with guacamole, green salsa, cilantro and lime.
Makes about 20 tacos total depending on portion size of meat and size of tortilla.
optional: want to make this recipe grain free or include more veggies? instead of tortillas, cook up some cauliflower rice (only takes 5 minutes) and use as a base for a taco bowl, OR use a bed of lettuce and make a salad.
Grab the recipes for the 5 Minute Guacamole & a Healthy Margarita and in 10 minutes you have delicious homemade guac and a marg!
Are you creative in the kitchen? Smithfield is challenging you to see what you can do with Marinated Fresh Pork to get a flavorful meal ready in 30 minutes with their “What Can You Do With 30?” contest. For more 30-minute meal preparation ideas, and to submit your original recipe for a chance to win great prizes, head to www.SmithfieldRealFlavorRealFast.com
Pin the image to save the recipe for later!