It’s getting cooler, comfort food is starting to sound delicious, and you wanna celebrate Taco Tuesday but you still wanna kill it in your skinny jeans. I totally get it, the struggle is real!! Today I’m sharing with you a delicious recipe for healthy nachos that I created last week on a whim. This recipe allows you to have the best of both worlds, it feels so bad, but it’s so good for you. On top of that it’s delicious, satisfying and super easy to make.
The holiday season is here! It came so quick; Thanksgiving is literally right around the corner. In this recipe round up, I am sharing delicious and indulgent plant based recipes that are perfect to enjoy on Thanksgiving. Who says that vegetables can’t be super satisfying?! From appetizers, entrees, side dishes and yummy desserts like sweet potato bourbon pie, there is something for everyone. Make one of these recipes and take it to your Thanksgiving dinner, I promise it will be a hit. People won’t even know it’s plant based! Continue reading Healthy Plant Based Recipe Round-Up, Perfect for Thanksgiving
It’s no secret that I love protein pancakes!! Since we’re in the middle of pumpkin season, I decided I should try to make a pumpkin version of protein pancakes. They did not disappoint!! These pancakes are super easy to whip up and taste like fall. The ingredient list is short and they’ll keep you feeling full till lunch.
Since finding out about my gluten allergy, I don’t eat cookies all that often. I was puttering around Pinterest one day and saw a gluten free, grain free chocolate chip cookie recipe. I was intrigued and thought, “sounds easy enough”. Then I got the crazy idea to use some protein powder and make them into a protein cookie. The result: an amazingly delicious, gluten free cookie that is low in sugar.
You may have seen Lenny & Larry’s protein cookies. They have been all the rage, but they are NOT gluten free. I’m also not a huge fan of their nutrition. High sugar, high calorie and high carb. Not much better than a normal cookie. So I set out to make a gluten free, lower sugar, protein cookie.
These gluten free protein cookies turned out much better than expected and did not last long. I gobbled them up quicker than I expected. I was looking for excuses to eat these! They are great as a snack or a dessert.
In this recipe, I used my favorite protein powder, Vanilla Milkshake from Quest. One thing to remember when cooking with protein powder is the kind of protein can really change the recipe. Feel free to substitute your protein powder of choice, just know that it may alter the recipe a bit.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip
Protein Cookie Recipe
prep time: 20 mins
cook time: 15 mins
total time: 35 minutes
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons coconut oil (if your coconut oil is a little melty, put it in the fridge for about 10 minutes or until firmer, like softened butter. If you use melted coconut oil, the dough will be greasy)
3 scoops Vanilla Milkshake Quest Nutrition protein powder
6 tablespoons natural almond butter – make sure it has no added sugar!
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
A few Tsp of water, if needed
1. In a mixing bowl, mix almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl with an electric hand mixer, beat together coconut oil and the protein powder until well combined. If you use coconut oil, it may not come together easily. If needed, use your hands to combine it and then beat another 20 seconds.
3. Beat in the almond butter and vanilla extract & mix until combined. Beat in the egg on low and mix well.
4. Stir in the flour mixture until well combined. Then stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips. 5. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for about 1 hour or until the dough is firm.
6. Preheat the oven to 350 °F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
5. Roll the dough into approx 12 balls. Place on baking sheet.
6. Bake for 11-14 minutes or until browned and the center of the cookie is no longer raw.
7. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
1. You can also roll cookies into smaller balls but this will effect the bake time.
2. The bake time will also vary based on protein powder used & your oven. Start with 11 minutes and check cookies. With Quest protein, it took 15 minutes, however this does vary based on oven.
3. If you wish, flatten cookie ball slightly before baking for a more traditional cookie appearance 🙂
Adapted from TexanErin
Summertime Mango Coconut Smoothie
I love overnight oats for breakfast!! They are easy, healthy & the flavor combinations are basically endless. As you can probably tell from the name, you make them the night before & in the morning you just grab and go! It’s a perfect way to get a healthy breakfast without much time.
Overnight oats are an ideal breakfast, depending on how you make them, because they cover all the macros: protien, carbs & fat. Oats are a great slow digesting carb, so they won’t spike your blood sugar & they can power you thru a workout or a long morning at work. I add protein powder to give the breakfast a boost and stay full longer. With the nut milk you get some good healthy fats and of course you can also add a drizzle of nut butter.
Green Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup gluten free oatmeal
- 1 scoop Quest protien powder
- 1 scoop Natural Citizen Organic Greens (use SWEETBLONDE for $10 off)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 3/4 cup unsweetened nut milk (my fav is Silk Almond or Cashew milk)
- 1/4 cup blueberries – fresh or frozen
- Add all dry ingredients in a portable container. My favorite is a mason jar, easy to carry & cute!
- Mix dry ingredients together till mixed well
- Add almond milk & mix well
- Top with fresh or frozen blueberries.
- Close container and store in fridge overnight.
- Enjoy next morning!!!
Looking for more recipe inspiration? Try this: Cinnamon Apple Crisp Overnight Oats.
Summer is finally heating up and there is nothing like a cold drink on a hot day! Here in Seattle, the weather is still trying to make up it’s mind, but even with a cloud cover, the sun and warmer temps are here! It’s time to fire up the BBQ and enjoy summer! If you are like me, you don’t like to drink your calories. Since I avoid artificial sweeteners & diet sodas, the options can seem limited. That is where these delicious summer spritzers come in. They are tasty without any added sugar or calories! Best part: they are super easy to make & perfect to enjoy solo or take to a party.
One of my favorite parts of summer is all the fresh fruit which is featured in these spritzers. While these are perfect for summer, you can enjoy these any time of year. I’m sharing 4 different recipes, but the sky is the limit with the different combinations you could mix up.
Not only do they make drinking water tastier and easier, they also look beautiful! These spritzers are huge hits at family get togethers and BBQ with friends. They always gets lots of compliments. 🙂 Like I mentioned before, I also love that I can enjoy a delicious and lightly flavored drink without any added sugar or calories!Aren’t these glasses adorable?! Get them here. Only $10 for the set!
The base recipe for these is very simple:
Fill a large pitcher with water OR sparkling water. Then add fruit combination of your choice (listed below). Let is sit for a least one hour so the flavors infuse into the water. It is best to drink this within 24 hours as the fruit can start to get mushy.
The amounts listed below are for a full pitcher. They can be adjusted according to your taste preference. While you can make these in individual servings, I prefer to make a lot at once. Trust me, you will drink it quicker than you think!
Blackberry + Cucumber
15 blackberries, 1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced.
Watermelon + Mint
1 cup watermelon, 10 mint leaves.
2 pink lemons. 1 sliced, the other squeezed into water for extra flavor boost. If you cannot find a pink lemon, use regular or meyer lemons.
1 lime, sliced. 12 strawberries, tops removed, sliced in half. 1 orange, peeled and sliced.
For a beautiful presentation, place a few pieces of fruit into each glass. You can also add a garnish on the side if you wish & serve in a cute glass.