It’s getting cooler, comfort food is starting to sound delicious, and you wanna celebrate Taco Tuesday but you still wanna kill it in your skinny jeans. I totally get it, the struggle is real!! Today I’m sharing with you a delicious recipe for healthy nachos that I created last week on a whim. This recipe allows you to have the best of both worlds, it feels so bad, but it’s so good for you. On top of that it’s delicious, satisfying and super easy to make.
I started off wanting to make mini stuffed peppers. Sounds cute and easy right? WRONG. The good news is, my idea gone wrong turned into these amazing nachos. Grab the guac and get yourself ready for the healthiest taco Tuesday ever!
The base of these nachos is baby peppers instead of chips. This reduces the amount of calories, fat and carbs in this recipe compared to traditional nachos. I also used vegan cheese to keep it dairy free, but that is optional. With a short list of ingredients and easy prep, you will have this dish ready in no time!
1 bag baby sweet peppers
1 lb ground turkey or ground beef – cooked
1 1/2 cups vegan cheese (I used Daiya)
3 cups spinach or arugula (optional)
guacamole or avocado
1) Preheat the oven to 400F
2) If you have not already cooked your ground turkey or beef, brown in a skillet. If it is already cooked, skip this step.
3) Wash and cut tops off of all the baby peppers. Then slice baby peppers in half
4) Place halves of baby peppers on a baking sheet. Top with ground turkey or beef and the vegan cheese. Sprinkle spinach or arugula on top.
5) Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and peppers are soft.
6) Remove from oven and top with salsa, pico de gallo and guacamole.
Notes: you can use sub regular cheese for the vegan cheese if you do not need the recipe to be dairy free!