Workout Wednesday this week is all about the core! Core workouts are functional fitness because we use our core every single day. Sitting or standing, our core is engaged and doing work. No matter what kinda exercise you normally do, whether it’s weight lifting or running, a strong core is important. Working your core is about more than just getting a six pack. When your core is strong, you’re less prone to inures.
This workout is made up of 8 core moves. Below the video I have recommended a certain number of reps for each exercise. You can do more or less depending on your fitness level. I recommend doing a few rounds of the moves, so repeat the 8 moves 2-3 times. Remember to listen to your body and modify when necessary.
The only piece of equipment you will need is a stability ball. If you do not have one, you can use a rag or paper plates as sliders and use those instead.
1) plank to pike – 10 reps
2) forearm plank to pike – 10 reps
3) spider planks – 10 each side
4) forearm plank hold – 30 seconds
5) side plank dips – 5 reps right side
6) side plank dips – 5 reps left side
7) bicycles – 10 each side, 20 total
8) sit ups – 10
Depending on fitness level, repeat this 2 or 3 times.
Let’s get sweaty!!!
1. Did you know that a strong core helps you run faster? When you core is strong, your glute and hamstring muscles are able to do their work more effectively because they are not picking up the slack for your core!
2. Did you also know that your core is much more than just your abs? It is all your muscles in your mid section – your abdominals, obliques, lower back muscles, your latissimus dorsi and upper back muscles. This workout hits a lot more than just your abs, it works all the muscles in your core!
Tell me: what is your favorite core exercise??