It’s no secret that I love coffee. It is very rare that a morning goes by without me enjoying a cup or two. I also live in the coffee capital, the birthplace of Starbucks. They are on almost every corner & as you probably know, they are constantly launching new seasonal drinks. The lastest one that caught my eye was the vanilla sweet cream cold brew coffee.
I usually order very ‘boring’ drinks. I get a black americano, iced coffee or cold brew. Last week I was in Starbucks between personal training clients at the gym and wanted something more than black coffee. I decided to give the vanilla sweet cream cold brew a try. I asked for very light vanilla sweet cream. I just wanted a splash. Even with the light sweet cream, it was too sweet for me. As I sat there sipping on coffee, I realized that this drink could easily be ‘re-made’ in a healthier version to save on calories & sugar!
This healthy makeover also saves you some money & makes it a diary-free drink. I actually liked this healthy version much better than the Starbucks drink. Best part – it’s really easy!!
Healthy Version Starbucks Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Brew
- cold brew coffee concentrate
- my favorites: Chameleon Cold Brew (available at Costco or Target) OR Trader Joe’s Cold Brew (my favorite is the new French Roast – blue label)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- my favorite: Silk unsweetened Cashew Milk
- vanilla flavored liquid stevia – try this one
- OR substitute 1 packet stevia + 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup ice (add more or less according to your preference)
- Mix up cold brew according to directions. Usually they have to be slightly diluted with a little water.
- Add in 1/4 cup of unsweetened cashew milk & a few drops of vanilla stevia OR 1 tsp vanilla extract & stevia to taste
- Add ice
This makes a 16oz beverage. Increase amounts to 1/2 cup cashew milk, 1.5 tsp of vanilla extract and 3/4 cup of ice for a 20-24oz beverage. You can also play with amounts according to your taste preferences.
In the graphic below, compare the nutrition facts for my healthy version to Starbucks. No sugar in my version and only 12 calories!
With this recipe you can enjoy a delicious coffee that doesn’t pack a ton of calories. Perfect for summer or to change up your daily coffee routine!