I used to think I didn’t like tempeh. I wouldn’t even consider it as an option for a plant based protein, tofu was go-to. Now, times have changed. I have become a HUGE tempeh fan, I would even say I like it better than tofu! What happened?! Well, I realized the brand and kind of tempeh you are eating actually matters AND how you cook it! In today’s post, I am going to share the solution to both those issues. Get a taste of summer and some comfort too with my favorite brand of tempeh and a delicious way to prepare it. Continue reading Mango Rice with Maple Balsamic Tempeh [Gluten Free]
The holiday season is here! It came so quick; Thanksgiving is literally right around the corner. In this recipe round up, I am sharing delicious and indulgent plant based recipes that are perfect to enjoy on Thanksgiving. Who says that vegetables can’t be super satisfying?! From appetizers, entrees, side dishes and yummy desserts like sweet potato bourbon pie, there is something for everyone. Make one of these recipes and take it to your Thanksgiving dinner, I promise it will be a hit. People won’t even know it’s plant based! Continue reading Healthy Plant Based Recipe Round-Up, Perfect for Thanksgiving
Have you ever eaten a ‘meatless’ or plant based meal? If not, it is because you can’t imagine a meal without meat? Do you think it will lack in flavor or taste weird? The recipes I am sharing today will change your mind. Plant based food tastes good! Lightlife, my favorite brand of tempeh, makes a variety of products that you can use to enjoy a delicious meatless meal. Plant based protein does NOT have to be boring. In fact, in these recipes you won’t even know it is missing.
I’m not a vegan or vegetarian, but I tend to be a ‘meat on the side’ kinda girl. I love eating plant based food! That being said, I still need to make sure I am eating enough protein so I build and maintain the muscles I am using during my workouts. I have lots of options as there many ways to get protein other than meat. However when preparing a meal, it can seem like meat is your only option. I like using tofu in recipes or making my own veggie burgers. I had tried tempeh but wasn’t a huge fan until I found Lightlife Flax Tempeh one day at Whole Foods. I randomly came across it when looking for tofu, I was intrigued by the added flax seeds & decided to give it a try. I LOVED it. Ever since, I haven’t bought any other brand of tempeh! I am excited to be working with Lightlife because I already loved them & I know you will too. This post + giveaway is sponsored by Lightlife. As always, all opinions are my own.
Like I mentioned, Lightlife make lots of products that taste GOOD and give you lots of options! I took a salad with the Lightlife tempeh to a dinner party and everyone raved about it. My personal favorite is the tempeh. Due to my food allergies, I have limited options: Lightlife tempeh, the veggie tempeh burger and the smart strips chickn.
Eating a meatless meal doesn’t mean sacrificing flavor or taste. You can use plant based proteins to create a delicious meal for your family and/or friends.
Want to try Lightlife?
1) Find out where to find Lightlife products near you!
2) Enter to win some Lightlife products at a discount. All you have to do is comment on this blog post! I will pick a winner on 5/4/16.
Recipe Round Up
You will love the delicious, plant powered recipes I’m sharing with you today. You won’t even notice the meat is missing! Even the pickiest eaters love these! Because of my food allergies, I only share or feature gluten free recipes. Some of the recipes below are not gluten free, but I have included the modifications below the link 🙂
with a side of baked sweet potato fries… yum!
To make gluten free: Substitute the black bean quinoa burger (not gluten free) for the Lightlife garden veggie tempeh burger or another gluten free veggie burger. Use a lettuce wrap or a gluten free bun. Substitute gluten free beer in making the BBQ sauce or use a GF bottled BBQ sauce.
With spring in full swing, summer is getting that much closer! My favorite part about summer, besides the amazing weather, is all the fresh fruit & veggies! I love going to a farmers market or even my local grocery store and picking up the freshest produce I can find. I call this my favorite summer salad because it highlights the flavors of summer. While the ingredients in this salad are freshest in the summer, you can enjoy it year around. It’s delicious, refreshing, quick and super easy to prepare. I know you will love this salad as much as I do!
Why I Love It
This salad is my favorite for a LOT of reasons. Not only does it taste AMAZING, it’s ready in less than 15 minutes. This is my go-to on super busy days when I don’t have a ton of time to prep or when I need a last minute dinner idea. It is also super filling! Sometimes people don’t like to eat a ‘salad’ for dinner because they don’t feel satisfied – not the case here! Another reason this is my favorite summer salad is it’s 100% plant based. I am not a vegan or a vegetarian, but I love to eat meatless meals from time to time. I tempeh as the protein in the salad and it is sooooo good! I never used to be a fan of tempeh until I found a brand that I really like. Don’t worry, if you aren’t a fan of tempeh or prefer to eat animal protein, I have included a few substitutions below.
Before we get to the recipe, here are a few tips:
1) The best way to eat this salad is in a HUGE bowl. If you don’t have a huge bowl, grab a mixing bowl. It is the best way to get to enjoy all the flavors and not make a huge mess.
2) Not a fan of tempeh? Substitute cooked tofu to keep it plant based. Want animal protein? Substitute grilled chicken breast or salmon.
My Favorite Summer Salad Recipe
- 1/2 package of tempeh, sliced (my favorite is Lightlife, I find it has the best flavor)
- 4 cups of mixed greens
- 1/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, thawed (see instructions below)
- 1 small orange, sliced (my favorite is a minneola orange)
- 2T walnuts
- 1 avocado, sliced
- To cook tempeh: Cut into thin slices and place into non-stick skillet on medium heat. Cook until lightly browned. Flip and cook other side until lightly browned. Remove from heat and place on salad.
- To thaw blueberries: place 1/4 cup frozen blueberries in microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 1 minute until thawed. Pour blueberries + juice over the salad. I love to thaw this way and use the juice as a way to add extra flavor to the salad.
- The salad: Place greens in bowl. Layer ingredients as you like. My favorite way is in this order: lettuce, walnuts, berries, orange slices, avocado, tempeh. Be creative and make this salad yours. Layer it how you want!
- Multiply the ingredients and prep this in an even bigger bowl to enjoy family style, or serve it up for each individual!
- Use your favorite protein. My favorite way to enjoy is with tempeh. Animal proteins that taste good with these flavors are salmon or grilled chicken breast.
- You can use frozen fruit if you cannot find fresh. Just let it thaw or warm in microwave prior to using.
I know this salad will become a staple in your house as it has in mine.
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin this!!
I love kale & homemade kale chips are one of my favorite snacks. They are really easy to prep, super healthy & full of nutrients. You cannot go wrong with kale chips; they are so versatile. You can make them into almost any flavor imaginable using different seasonings. The recipe I am sharing with you today is my all time favorite. I seriously love these kale chips so much that I can’t stop eating them. I always eat all of them before I can snap a pic. They are delicious & healthy! This is one of the few snacks where it is okay to eat the whole bag! 🙂
Kake is an amazing vegetable. Some call it a superfood & others say it is the world’s healthiest food. Kale is a green leafy vegetable full that is part of the cabbage family. It is full of lots of vitamins and nutrients such as vitamin K, B, C, A and magnesium, copper, fiber and calcium. It is said to have antioxidant and anti-imflammatory properties. There are lots of benefits to eating greens like kale, so give this recipe a try!
Hemp hearts are what give these kale chips a boost of protein. Hemp is a great source of plant based protein. There are 10 grams of protein and 10 grams of omegas in a serving of hemp hearts (3 tablespoons). They are so easy to use that you can throw them in a green smoothie, sprinkle on top of salads or oatmeal or kale chips like I did here. I love to use hemp hearts in all different ways. Check out my recipe for delicious pumpkin hemp soup I posted earlier this week.
Where can you find hemp hearts?
At your local health food store such as Whole Foods, or you can purchase them online via Amazon or on manitobaharvest.com. Use code HHSP1015 for 20% anything on the Manitoba Harvest web store!
1 large bunch of kale
Coconut oil spray
3 T Hemp Hearts
Optional: seasoning like Mrs. Dash, salt & pepper, garlic & onion powder, etc.
1. Preheat your oven to 350F
2. Break of kale into bite size pieces (removing from stem) & place on baking sheet
3. Spray lightly with coconut oil spray
4. Sprinkle Hemp Hearts & seasoning to your desire
5. Bake 15-20 minutes (or until crispy)
**Be careful not to burn as every oven is different & oven time may vary.
Note: These are best consumed within a few days. Be sure to store in an airtight container, otherwise they loose their crispy-ness and are not as good.
I was given a bag of Manitoba Harvest hemp hearts in exchange for this review thru my affiliation with Sweat Pink. All opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting my sponsors!
Enjoy & Stay Sweet!