I used to think I didn’t like tempeh. I wouldn’t even consider it as an option for a plant based protein, tofu was go-to. Now, times have changed. I have become a HUGE tempeh fan, I would even say I like it better than tofu! What happened?! Well, I realized the brand and kind of tempeh you are eating actually matters AND how you cook it! In today’s post, I am going to share the solution to both those issues. Get a taste of summer and some comfort too with my favorite brand of tempeh and a delicious way to prepare it. Continue reading Mango Rice with Maple Balsamic Tempeh [Gluten Free]
The holiday season is here! It came so quick; Thanksgiving is literally right around the corner. In this recipe round up, I am sharing delicious and indulgent plant based recipes that are perfect to enjoy on Thanksgiving. Who says that vegetables can’t be super satisfying?! From appetizers, entrees, side dishes and yummy desserts like sweet potato bourbon pie, there is something for everyone. Make one of these recipes and take it to your Thanksgiving dinner, I promise it will be a hit. People won’t even know it’s plant based! Continue reading Healthy Plant Based Recipe Round-Up, Perfect for Thanksgiving
With spring in full swing, summer is getting that much closer! My favorite part about summer, besides the amazing weather, is all the fresh fruit & veggies! I love going to a farmers market or even my local grocery store and picking up the freshest produce I can find. I call this my favorite summer salad because it highlights the flavors of summer. While the ingredients in this salad are freshest in the summer, you can enjoy it year around. It’s delicious, refreshing, quick and super easy to prepare. I know you will love this salad as much as I do!
Why I Love It
This salad is my favorite for a LOT of reasons. Not only does it taste AMAZING, it’s ready in less than 15 minutes. This is my go-to on super busy days when I don’t have a ton of time to prep or when I need a last minute dinner idea. It is also super filling! Sometimes people don’t like to eat a ‘salad’ for dinner because they don’t feel satisfied – not the case here! Another reason this is my favorite summer salad is it’s 100% plant based. I am not a vegan or a vegetarian, but I love to eat meatless meals from time to time. I tempeh as the protein in the salad and it is sooooo good! I never used to be a fan of tempeh until I found a brand that I really like. Don’t worry, if you aren’t a fan of tempeh or prefer to eat animal protein, I have included a few substitutions below.
Before we get to the recipe, here are a few tips:
1) The best way to eat this salad is in a HUGE bowl. If you don’t have a huge bowl, grab a mixing bowl. It is the best way to get to enjoy all the flavors and not make a huge mess.
2) Not a fan of tempeh? Substitute cooked tofu to keep it plant based. Want animal protein? Substitute grilled chicken breast or salmon.
My Favorite Summer Salad Recipe
- 1/2 package of tempeh, sliced (my favorite is Lightlife, I find it has the best flavor)
- 4 cups of mixed greens
- 1/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, thawed (see instructions below)
- 1 small orange, sliced (my favorite is a minneola orange)
- 2T walnuts
- 1 avocado, sliced
- To cook tempeh: Cut into thin slices and place into non-stick skillet on medium heat. Cook until lightly browned. Flip and cook other side until lightly browned. Remove from heat and place on salad.
- To thaw blueberries: place 1/4 cup frozen blueberries in microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 1 minute until thawed. Pour blueberries + juice over the salad. I love to thaw this way and use the juice as a way to add extra flavor to the salad.
- The salad: Place greens in bowl. Layer ingredients as you like. My favorite way is in this order: lettuce, walnuts, berries, orange slices, avocado, tempeh. Be creative and make this salad yours. Layer it how you want!
- Multiply the ingredients and prep this in an even bigger bowl to enjoy family style, or serve it up for each individual!
- Use your favorite protein. My favorite way to enjoy is with tempeh. Animal proteins that taste good with these flavors are salmon or grilled chicken breast.
- You can use frozen fruit if you cannot find fresh. Just let it thaw or warm in microwave prior to using.
I know this salad will become a staple in your house as it has in mine.
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin this!!